With only a few exceptions, CostFlex Systems is the original developer of all of the several dozen products we offer and support.
By carefully limiting the software technology we use in development to Microsoft tools – Windows and Microsoft Office products – but at the same time, adapting to the fast changing hardware environment, we have kept our costs low, offer state-of-the-art solutions, and successfully implemented into a wide variety of client hardware and software environments.
Some of the guiding principles include:
- All client data stored only on client hardware and client backup sites
- Standard off-the shelf IBM compatible PC’s
- Microsoft Access and now VB.Net programming languages
- Microsoft Access databases and Microsoft SQL databases
- Downloading from client computers by text files only
- Uploading to client computers by Excel files only
- Clients are responsible for all networking hardware and software
Operating systems have changed 8 or 9 times in the last 15 years. Some of our clients always seem to jump right in on a new release so at any one time we are supporting 4 or 5 different Windows versions.
Computers have become smaller, faster, and easier to install and to communicate with. Disk storage increases have been phenomenal.
Over the years, we have tested web based installations and choose to avoid them for our core products. Performance was always a problem with a web based installation. Security and reliability are questionable as well. This does not mean we are ignoring this technology!
As will be seen in another section, CostFlex Systems is currently developing (2016) a smartphone and web based system using cloud storage (“big data”) to allow individuals to easily track and manage all of their encounters with healthcare providers any where in the world.